Monday, June 25, 2012

Update on my art deco paintings!


So far I am finishing up my second painting (Australia) and starting on my third one (Venice) hopefully tomorrow, Thursday, if not definitely Friday. I have been meeting with my professor on Fridays discussing what my challenges are and how the process is going for translating the image to a painting. 


I love the fiber paste for the background. The fiber paster on the Chicago piece provide movement among the sky and "water." The medium transpired well, which I was worried about in the beginning. One issues I am having is with the text; trying to get it perfect to the digital text. Up close the text is uneven and not perfect which is hard to leave alone, but thats what happens when you paint. Its not perfect and thats what makes it unique from the graphic design version.


In my last meeting, we conversed about the cityscape and how it was flat and mostly a block of paint. The text, sky and sailboat really caught our eye, while the cityscape was just one color with no real dimension. We talked about ways in which the city could be changed. I am experimenting with adding different values of the same color. I will be either dividing the cities into blocks of color, or adding windows and perhaps corners to break up the flatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment